Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Another day in the life of a Bilateral CI'er

I had my first meeting at work (post CI bilateralism) and I didn’t use my FM. It was in a smaller room than usual with the usual 11 people attending. I did just fine. I even heard a lady at the end of the table whisper to the lady next to her “What’s Friday’s date?” as she took notes. At least I was sure I heard her when it happened. Now I’m wondering if I lip read it. I just take in all the clues there are and don’t always realize where the actual understanding comes from.

Ok, I admit I chickened out on using the phone at work today. I looked at it but I just couldn’t do it and it didn’t ring so I didn’t have to pick it up. As Scarlet would say “Tomorrow is another day!”

However, I just spoke to my mom on the phone here at home. It’s often very hard for me to understand my mom. I plugged my left side BWP in directly and held the handset to my right ear. It was much better. I’d hold the handset away from my right ear and it was hard to hear, put it back and the sound was just so much louder and fuller. Bravely unplugged the BWP, yikes didn’t sound like I was getting much out of the right side at all. No understanding of what she was saying. Quickly plugged the BWP back in and there was that rich full sound again. This is very odd and yet it seems to be what most people report when they have gotten two implants at different times.

I’ve been watching TV with the captions off. Not great results there. Oh, well, I’ll keep trying! Tomorrow marks a full week with the new CI!

PS. Check out the free classic audio books for listening practice - the link is on the right with the Rehab Links.

No comments: