Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Less than 24 hours until Activation!

I'm am super excited about my CI activation day tomorrow and getting my new Harmony! This week it has been hard to wait, but now it's getting very close to the BIG A DAY. Today I received a reminder call from the CI center. I didn't need that, no way I'll forget this appointment.

I found my journal from ten years ago. Comparing then and now will be interesting. I don't have to read it to remember that my initial activation with my first CI was not great as far as understanding what I was hearing. I had to work at it. I'm fully prepared to do the same this time around. At work employees in my department can now listen to music with ear buds. I plan to connect my new CI to music while at work and not connect the older CI. Doing so will allow me to exercise the new one on my right ear almost all day at work and still hear out of left CI. Might be distracting, but I'll give it a try.

The too salty, too sweet taste thing has gone away. It only lasted a week or so. Good thing because I lost 8 pounds the first week after surgery. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it did leave me feeling pretty washed out.

There hasn't been much tinnitus but I do notice a high pitched sound now and then. I don't really have anything it reminds me of. Just ringing in the ear. I do sometimes notice a faint thunder or drumming but it's not loud. Makes me curious about what is going on in there rather than annoyed. Mostly both my ears are pretty quiet.

I'm peeking in my journal and four days after I was activated ten years ago I wrote:

"Hey, I can pick out some words on Kenny Rogers' greatest hits without any printed words to follow along with! The Gambler & Lucille are the best! Thank you Kenny!"

We thought this was funny back then because I wasn't a really big fan of country music, although I did like this particular CD. I remember it when everywhere with me. I do believe I will take this CD with me tomorrow! I'll post soon about my activation very soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO excited for you, Janet! At this time tomorrow you'll be activated...yay!!

I think it's great that you kept a journal last time -- being able to compare the two will be so fun for you.

Take care,

Wendi

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Woo Hoo! I just checked to confirm Michigan's time and it is now tomorrow there. It's still Wednesday in California, but Thursday where you are... which means your activation is TODAY!!

Like you needed a reminder call! Pshaw!

Can't wait for you to share as so many are following so closely right behind you!

Since you like Kenny Rogers, check out this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZYcqlEZxGQ
March 2, 1972 Kenny Rogers and the first edition

"Lucille"
In a bar in Toledo across from the depot
On a bar stool she took off her ring
I thought I'd get closer so I walked on over
I sat down and asked her name
When the drinks finally hit her
She said I'm no quitter but I finally quit livin on dreams
I'm hungry for laughter and here ever after
I'm after whatever the other life brings
In the mirror I saw him and I closely watched him
I thought how he looked out of place
He came to the woman who sat there be-side me
He had a strange look on his face
The big hands were calloused he looked like a mountain
For a minute I thought I was dead
But he started shaking his big heart was breaking
He turned to the woman and said
You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field
I've had some bad times lived through some sad times
But this time your hurting won't heal
You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille.
After he left us I ordered more whisky
I thought how she'd made him look small
From the lights of the bar room
To a rented hotel room
We walked without talking at all
She was a beauty but when she came to me
She must have thought I'd lost my mind
I could'nt hold her 'cos the words that told her
Kept coming back time after time
You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field
I've had some bad times lived through some sad times
But this time your hurting won't heal
You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille.

"The Gambler"

On a warm summer's evenin' on a train bound for nowhere,
I met up with the gambler; we were both too tired to sleep.
So we took turns a starin' out the window at the darkness
'Til boredom overtook us, and he began to speak.

He said, "Son, I've made a life out of readin' people's faces,
And knowin' what their cards were by the way they held their eyes.
And if you don't mind my sayin', I can see you're out of aces.
For a taste of your whiskey I'll give you some advice."

So I handed him my bottle and he drank down my last swallow.
Then he bummed a cigarette and asked me for a light.
And the night got deathly quiet, and his face lost all expression.
Said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy, ya gotta learn to play it right.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Ev'ry gambler knows that the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away and knowing what to keep.
'Cause ev'ry hand's a winner and ev'ry hand's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep."

And when he'd finished speakin', he turned back towards the window,
Crushed out his cigarette and faded off to sleep.
And somewhere in the darkness the gambler, he broke even.
But in his final words I found an ace that I could keep.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.


Jennifer :-D