Monday, January 5, 2009

Movies and 2008 Wrap Up Part 2

This will be setting a record of a sorts. Two blog entries so close together!

We saw two movies over the holidays. First was "Australia" on New Years Eve. It was long! Started at 9:15 and let out at 12:04 so we missed the ball dropping. At least we were awake which is more than I can say for other years! The accents were a challenge, but it was still easy enough to follow along with what was happening. I'd love to see this one again with captions. The little boy was adorable!

Last Saturday, we went to see Seven Pounds. I'm not going to spoil the show for anyone. I didn't have any trouble hearing what was said. Only a few spots that were tricky. The movie is a bit puzzling because not much is explained until the very end. A bit disturbing and sad story, but worth seeing. Will Smith is great in his part. We puzzled over the name all the way home and then looked it up on the Internet so we'd know for sure what it meant. See the movie first so you don't know the end, it will be better that way.

I'm still surprised when hearing words (not just sounds) and phrases of words that would not have been heard before going bilateral. Sometimes I don't even realize that the captions are not on. My hubby will point it out and say he misses them even though he has normal hearing. Or I'll hear a phrase and think, "I heard that..." Take note that the captions are off and then "Yes, no captions on so I must have!" By then I've missed the rest of what was being said because I was too busy being amazed at what I was hearing! I am so used to captions on TV that when they are on and are in sync with the actual speech, then it's like I can hear it even when I can't. Radio and podcasts are the best way to know what I'm actually hearing since there isn't any visual input at all.

The media is constantly blasting us with what a horrible year 2008 is. If my bottom line was the only thing that makes me happy, that might be true. Fortunately, there were many blessings in to be grateful for in 2008! My second CI and much improved bilateral hearing is right at the top of my list. Two ears are definitely better than one!! Even if they are not equal in hearing skills (my right ear with the Harmony does better than my left ear with the C1), everything sounds richer and fuller with both of my implants on. I don't go without either one very often. I hope you can find blessings from events in your life and that 2009 brings even more!

1 comment:

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Hi Janet!

I know what you mean about Seven Pounds. I did the very same thing after seeing it at the theater. I looked it up on the internet to see he significance and see if I had gotten the same thing out of it that "they" hoped I had.

I'm really happy that your bilateral CI experience has been so successful! Thanks for two great blog entries so close together. :-)

Jennifer :-)