Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Some Hearing Moments

In Passing...

Monday I was out running errands and needed to FedEx a package. I went to a store near some other stops on my errand route. My first thought was "Odd, the parking lot looks bare." The store is kind of tucked around the corner though so I couldn't see it. As I started walking to the side walk that led around to the store, a couple of ladies passed me going the other way. One of them said something and it took a minute, but then I realized she said 'It's closed'. I stopped in my tracks. I heard that! I was excited that I heard her comment and also unsettled to learn the FedEx location had closed as it was located in an area that I would have thought would be a good spot. Signs of the times? I sure hope not!

On purpose...

I've been making more phone calls lately. On Friday, I came home and made three calls right in a row using my Harmony ear. I used our corded phone for one. It doesn't have much volume boost on it so it felt just barely loud enough. The other two I made on my cell phone which seems to have more volume boost. I find slightly humorous that when I am trying to listen with the phone using my Harmony’s T-mic on the right side, if I take my headpiece off on the left, it helps me focus on the sounds coming in the other side better. It reminds me of how people will plug one ear when trying to talk with the phone on the other side. Although people usually do that when it’s noisy and for me there was only the hum of my computer. I’m not sure why I find this amusing. Maybe because it’s one of those tiny actions that most people don’t think about when they do it and after looking on for years and years with a certain amount of envy about talking on the phone, now I can mimic the action. And maybe it has to do with the realization that it doesn’t take much to distract me from listening. Focusing on tiny voices on the phone is still relatively new for me after all. Whatever the reason, it made me smile.

Bits And Pieces (not)...

There was more I wanted to write, but it's gone. Just flew right out of my mind. I'm sitting here trying to think what it was but after 10 minutes of nothing happening, I'm going to wind this up. Till next time!


No comments: